[Villages] Sitemap ready to go for village placement

Ruud Koolen redlizard at redlizard.nl
Thu Jun 30 21:01:15 CEST 2022

Hi team:villages,

The placement of major event tents and related infrastructure is now
effectively finalized, with no further substantial changes expected. This
seems like a sensible time to work on the Great Village Tetrising Project.

I have collected all my notes of terrain constraints and other considerations
that I should pass along to you for this. Much of this I already mentioned on
jitsi but I shall include it anyway for completeness.

- The noise gradient is such that north-by-northwest is the direction of
increasing noise levels. Lamarr is the noisiest field, then Liskov, then
Manning/Olsen/Torvalds, and Turing/Wozniak are the quietest fields. This is
specifically measured in the quantity of "how difficult is it to get some
real sleep after 1AM"; moderate daytime activity is good to go everywhere.
Outside the dike, the gradient is simply northwards, with Zuse being as quiet
as it goes.
- Much of Torvalds field and the northwest corner of Wozniak are the muddiest
parts of the field; it is probably wise to minimize the number of 5x5 village
tents there [for the forklifts the tent builders use will do far more field
damage than camping visitors ever will]. Attached are some pictures
indicating where the boundaries are. The area in Torvalds immediately next to
the forest edge seem mostly fine.
- Wozniak field has a couple of small trees scattered around, whose location I
cannot pin down exactly. I think they are mostly immediately next to the
central north-south stretch of firelane, but it's a bit approximate. If we
keep enough slack in this area to move things around a bit on the field, I
don't think it will be a problem.
- Snowden and Zuse fields will have limited amounts of power. Basic villages
doing normal things are fine, but villages with above average power draw
should probably be somewhere else.
- Wilson field is not easy to reach with vehicles. Villages with lots of stuff
to unload should probably not be there, unless they enjoy carrying things.
This also applies to some degree to Snowden and Zuse.
- The south of Hamilton fields can be used by people in tents, while being
immediately next to the camper area. This provides opportunity for mixed use
camper/tent camping. But space here is limited, so this will take some
careful prioritization.
- We are not camping on Flowers field and Goldwasser field at all.
- Babbage, Boole, Clarke, Engelbart, Lovelace, Rhodes fields are not rented by
MCH and therefore off limits. This includes the area immediately west of the
Avonturenhuis.
- Turing field is reserved for family camping. Family-related villages are of
course welcome there, in coordination with team:family.
- The area across the ditch from Turing field used to have some event tents
but is now mostly empty. Putting some high-visibility villages these seems
sensible.

There are also a couple of requests:

- I have been told that sponsors are effectively just another kind of village,
and will be tetrised by team:villages accordingly. Is that correct?
- The Computest sponsor is integrated in the arcade/retro cluster, and as such
already has a location for their tent. As I understand it they receive a
10x10 sponsor tent that they extended to a 15x10 in the village tent shop,
and that 15x10 is on the map as the Arcade Sponsor tent. Please check with
them that this is the intent.
- On my list of tents that still need a location is the AngryNerds radio
studio, which for all intents and purposes is a 5x5 village tent with a
surrounding village and no particular requirements; but I do not think they
have registered themselves as a village. Can you tetris them as though they
were a village? I have a contact if necessary.
- Please let me know if any village wants a rented tent to be built in any
shape that isn't a rectangle. I cannot make any promises to what degree this
is possible, but if you have a list of such requests I will ask the tent
builders.

As discussed yesterday, I will need map data for all the village tents. The
ideal way would be if you could add this data to the master map file, which
is hosted at https://gitlab.com/maycontainhackers/team-terrain/map and made
using QCad (the FOSS version will do fine). The map is maintained in autocad
file format, which *does not merge*, so version coordination is a bit of a
pain. The procedure that works well is that team:villages can take ownership
of a number of map layers that are maintained by the team, and which I will
not touch; when you have map material to submit, you can send me your version
of the map file, and I will combine your version of those layers with my
version of everything else.

The relevant layers to work with here are the "tents ... village tents"
layers, and whatever else you may want to draw under the "team-villages"
layers. (The SHA2017 villages team used that to draw rough village area
boundaries for planning purposes, for example.)

Let me know if there is anything else, or if I can help with something.

-- Ruud