[mch2021-terrain] Infrarium A cyber-physical serious game in a container.

Ruud Koolen redlizard at redlizard.nl
Sat May 28 15:03:30 CEST 2022

On Saturday 21 May 2022 18:22:11 claudia wrote:
> Hi Team terrain,
>
> We, at content have a proposal that is a container to be placed on the
> terrain.  We, from content can find the money for the transportation,
> but I guess we have to ask you where to place it on the terrain and any
> other installation / e.d.
>
> So, questions:
>
> 1- can it be in the terrain?

Certainly.

> Where? We can add to the program as from the 'Tardis'  track.

Now that is a good question.

Because this container is offloaded from a lorry, it needs to be positioned
close to a road, to avoid the lorry damaging the grass. This limits options a
bit, especially because the prime lorry-reachable locations are mostly
reserved for the main stages.

The other constraint is one of travel distances to other content locations. If
this Tardis track has mostly scheduled content (event that starts at a
particular time which is synchronized to the talks) then walking distances to
the other stages need to not be too high, for otherwise people will not be
able to make it in time. If this is more of a continuous walk-in-at-any-time
sort of thing, like the badge bar and arcade and the like, then we can get a
bit more creative with placing.

If it's the latter, locations that seem sensible to me are the south of
Hamilton field (which is in need of some light content with liberal
scheduling) or inside the loop on the beach. Both have good road reachability
and could benefit from some activity that draws people there.

If it's the former, things are a bit trickier; the parts of the field that are
both in walking distance of the stages and reachable by lorry are getting
pretty cramped. Immediately south of the road between Torvalds and Turing
fields, perhaps?

I'm assuming that this thing doesn't need access to running water or sewer,
and doesn't need a very large amount of power (that is, it needs 3x32A or
less). If it does need such things, that is going to complicate matters.

> 2- if a lorry comes with the container, what need to happen?  / what do
> people need to do and what people?

Not much. Someone will guide the lorry to the location it needs to unload and
tell it "please put it down there, thank you" and that is pretty much it.
Depending on the exact location, we may need to arrange some driving plates
before it gets there.

Does it get unloaded by crane, or with an arm that just drops the container?
The latter will need more extensive tertain protections.

Once it's on the ground, of course it needs decoration and finishing up
content-wise etcetera. I assume you are taking care of all that. Decoration
is particularly important here, as a container can easily look like it is
just a backstage storage building if it's not festooned with signs
saying "interesting things here".

-- Ruud