[Villages] Hardware Hacking Area at MCH2022

Kliment (Future Bits) kliment at 0xfb.com
Fri Jun 17 10:44:55 CEST 2022

Hello Villages team,

I just realized we've not been in contact with you about our
requirements due to some confusion on our end, so this is me attempting
to fix this. I (Kliment) and Tom are points of contact for this. Please
ask us anything anytime.

We are the Hardware Hacking Area. We're planning to bring a giant bus
over from Belgium that unfolds into a giant workshop space (similar to
but not quite a tent - with a roof, but open-sided). We then fill that
space with (our own) tables, chairs, soldering irons, and run lots of
hardware-related workshops. We've already been in touch with content
team and they've designated us as an official workshop track, hosting
several of the more hardware-oriented cfp-proposed workshops. You have
probably seen our setup at SHA, EMF18, Fri3d18, CCCamp19, EMF22. We'd
like to coordinate with you about how to best make this happen.

Here's what we'd need to make HHA a reality:

Space: We need a level space we can park a 12m long special vehicle in,
and then expand it to a 18x9m workshop area. We'd prefer the non-vehicle
side to be best visible/accessible to the public. A dimensioned drawing
of our setup and required access space around it is attached. Our total
loaded weight is around 13 tons, distributed over two axles.

Power: We have an unusual power setup. We'll coordinate this separately
with team power. Ideally, we'd like a 400v/32A/3phase red socket
connection within 12m of the bus. We do not expect to be drawing
significant loads on average but our peak load can easily exceed 16A.
Again, we'll coordinate this separately with team power.

Arrival/departure: We'd like to arrive for early buildup on day -1 and
depart on day 6 in the morning. We have a large turn radius (I believe
9m, Tom can correct me if I'm wrong) and cannot go up/down steep slopes.

Fire protection: Our space is an awning (not sure if this qualifies as a
tent or not) with no walls and a fire-retardant roof. Nobody will be
sleeping inside the workshop area. We can bring fire extinguishers as
necessary. We have lots of emergency exit options as there are no walls.
Some advice on necessary signposting would be appreciated. Visitors
other than our team members are not allowed inside the vehicle, only the
outside workshop area is public-access (the vehicle has only one exit,
which is why we don't open it to the public).

Sorry for contacting you so late, we'll try to be extremely responsive
from now on.

Kliment and Tom