[mch2021-terrain] Terrain layout: ideas and constraints

jeroen at ifcat.org jeroen at ifcat.org
Wed Nov 25 16:18:52 CET 2020

Ruud,

See inline answers.

Jeroen

-----Original Message-----
From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard at redlizard.nl>
Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2020 20:49
To: jeroen at ifcat.org; wilco at ifcat.org
Cc: terrain at lists.mch2021.org
Subject: Terrain layout: ideas and constraints

Dear Team:Horeca,

It's high time we got going on getting a rough version of the MCH2021 terrain layout together.

Despite the mantra of copy/paste/improve, the plan is not to use the layout from SHA2017 as an authoritative baseline. Many things have changed since four years ago, and many lessons were learned; so we are going to take a fresh look at the space we have and how to fill it, taking into account new opportunities, new restrictions, and feedback about what worked well and what did not.

In that context, I'd like to hear what your team would like the terrain layout to look like. What big space-using things are you going to be organizing, that need a spot? And does your team have strong opinions about where those things should go, or where other general-purpose things should go relative to each other? Are there things that need to be close to other things, or far away from other things, or with access to particular infrastructure, for your team to be able to do its job? And are there such constraints that are not strictly necessary, but which would be very convenient if it can be arranged?

I have given my best estimates of the answers to the questions, listed below; but these are certain to be complete. If you could send me a mail with all the things I inevitably missed, I'd be much obliged. General feedback on what you'd like to see changed, or what worked very nicely last time and what you would like me to not touch, are also very welcome.

If mail is not sufficient, and you'd like to talk it over in more detail and/or draw things on whiteboards, ping me on IRC and we'll set something up.
Or join tomorrow's mumble meeting, and yell at me.

On the topic of tomorrow's mumble meeting, I would be very happy with some ideas, wishlists, and inspiration about terrain layout from a broad audience.
So by all means, join the discussion tomorrow, and tell me all about what needs to move and what should stay right where it is, and why.

>And does your team have strong opinions about where those things should go,
or where other general-purpose things should go relative to each other?
JVV:Yes, see drawings we shared with your team of Hamilton and Goldwasser Fields.

- Bar needs backspace room for storing stock and return bottles. Is this true for main bar only, or support bars as well?
JVV:Yes but that will be in our own drawings of the 3 Bar & food area's.

- Bars need water and sewer access.
JVV:Yes that is why we are selecting specific area's.

- Bars should be reasonably close to toilets.
JVV:Yes that is why we are selecting specific area's and why we are planning additional toilets in the area on Goldwasser field.

- Bars want to be close to stages / workshops / other event content, for revenue reasons.
JVV:Less important for me, we want to have food/mainbar/party area on Hamilton and Goldwasser field
JVV:Close to power source where it enters the terrain, water and sewage available.
JVV:Most important is the position of the stage on Hamilton field.
JVV:There with this angle sound does not go towards the Natura 2000 area and the sound can travel for several KM before encoundering a building.

- Bars want to be close to foodcourt[s].
JVV:Yes for revenue reasons.

- Food stalls need backspace room that can be supplied (i.e. reachable by car).
JVV:Yes but that will be in our own drawings of the 3 Bar & food area's and why we would like Hamilton and Goldwasser fields.
JVV:Most important is the bit of paved road near the dyke on Hamilton field for drop of of the 42ft reefer containers filled with bar supplies.
JVV:It can be inside our backstage area so a full truck can be off the road and unload inside backstage.

- Food stalls need good access to trash disposal.
JVV:Yeah sort off, but less important of a reason.

- Do food stalls need access to water and sewer?
JVV:Yes they do, running proper water and sewage if possible.

- Food stalls need to be near the eating and queueing spaces.
JVV:Yes, see drawings we shared with your team of Hamilton and Goldwasser Fields.

- Eating and queueing spaces need a lot of room for COVID-safety.
JVV:Yes, see drawings we shared with your team of Hamilton and Goldwasser Fields.
JVV:Yes we take that into account and we have are discussing this closely with the safety team who are responsible for the COVID measures.
JVV:It is the main reason why we need the full 2 fields without any other functions on it.

- Party lounge wants to be near a bar.
JVV:Yes, see drawings we shared with your team of Hamilton and Goldwasser Fields.

- Party lounge needs to be in a place where the noise does not cause problems.
JVV:Most important is the position of the stage on Hamilton field, see the drawings.