[MCH Team:Info] Terrain layout: ideas and constraints

Ruud Koolen redlizard at redlizard.nl
Tue Nov 24 20:49:58 CET 2020

Dear Team:Info,

It's high time we got going on getting a rough version of the MCH2021 terrain
layout together.

Despite the mantra of copy/paste/improve, the plan is not to use the layout
from SHA2017 as an authoritative baseline. Many things have changed since
four years ago, and many lessons were learned; so we are going to take a
fresh look at the space we have and how to fill it, taking into account new
opportunities, new restrictions, and feedback about what worked well and what
did not.

In that context, I'd like to hear what your team would like the terrain layout
to look like. What big space-using things are you going to be organizing,
that need a spot? And does your team have strong opinions about where those
things should go, or where other general-purpose things should go relative to
each other? Are there things that need to be close to other things, or far
away from other things, or with access to particular infrastructure, for your
team to be able to do its job? And are there such constraints that are not
strictly necessary, but which would be very convenient if it can be arranged?

I have given my best estimates of the answers to the questions, listed below;
but these are certain to be complete. If you could send me a mail with all
the things I inevitably missed, I'd be much obliged. General feedback on what
you'd like to see changed, or what worked very nicely last time and what you
would like me to not touch, are also very welcome.

If mail is not sufficient, and you'd like to talk it over in more detail
and/or draw things on whiteboards, ping me on IRC and we'll set something up.
Or join tomorrow's mumble meeting, and yell at me.

On the topic of tomorrow's mumble meeting, I would be very happy with some
ideas, wishlists, and inspiration about terrain layout from a broad audience.
So by all means, join the discussion tomorrow, and tell me all about what
needs to move and what should stay right where it is, and why.

>What big space-using things are you going to be organizing, that need a spot?
- Infodesk

>And does your team have strong opinions about where those things should go,
or where other general-purpose things should go relative to each other?
- Infodesk needs to be in a place that is visible.
- Infodesk wants to be close to crew area to encourage volunteering.
- Having all the different crew facilities together in a hub centralized
around Heaven and Infodesk seemed to work well at SHA2017. Are you aiming for
the same basic structure?