[mch2021-terrain] Helping out with Team Terrain

Ruud Koolen redlizard at redlizard.nl
Wed Mar 13 13:18:51 CET 2024

On Saturday 09 March 2024 16:41:25 Gina Muuss wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would love to help with Why2025 organization and am currently looking
> for a team that can use my help.
> The wiki page for mch says that you could use help (and to reach out
> here), is this still the case for why?

Ah, excellent! Both WHY2025 and Team:Terrain would be very happy to have
you :)

Teams for WHY2025 haven't really started forming yet. There will be a kickoff
meeting in a few weeks where people will start wondering what they want to be
involved with this time and skeleton crews start forming. So technically, for
the time being all teams still need help, as none really exist yet.

More practically speaking though, Team:Terrain has historically been an
understaffed team, and it's a safe bet that the same thing will be true this
time. So we most definitely could use the help.

> If so: What would make sense for me to do in order to help you?

Team:Terrain does quite a few different things:

- we arrange most of the onsite temporary buildings, like tents and toilets,
in close cooperation with the upper management team (Team:Projectleiding);
- we arrange preparation of the campsite grounds and soil, such as security
fencing, roads, bridges, and road plating;
- we plan the geographical layout of the campsite and where everything goes,
and maintain the site map;
- during the buildup and teardown stages, we coordinate the buildup and
teardown processes between the different teams, make sure that the right
dependencies are finished in the right orders, and yell at suppliers about
where tents and such need to go.

We need help with: all of the above :) No individual parts of this are taken
by any particular person yet (see also: teams that do not actually exists
yet), so if you're interested in any of these topics, the team would be very
happy to have you.

> Context: I recently moved to the Netherlands, and have organized
> smallish (around 300ppl) events before. I am also capable of doing
> IT-Infrastructure/Development things.
>
> Best,
> Gina

Ah, great! We could use some more experience in this team. Team:Terrain is a
relatively difficult team for newbies to get started in (all of the above
really benefits from having done similar events before), so people wich
experience on similar projects are especially nice to have.

There is not much IT infrastructure involved in Team:Terrain; it's mostly
metal and stone and the arrangement thereof. There is some custom tooling
that supports the sitemap processes, but it's a minor part of the work.

Would you like to meet sometime soon to discuss things further and exchange
anecdotes? The WHY2025 kickoff meeting will happen in early April, and you
can get to meet everyone and see all the teams (or at least see all the
diehard fanatics that are already working on this 16 months in advance :) ).
We could also meet separately to discuss terrain things in particular, if you
like; in person (I'm based in Eindhoven) or in the digital realm, as you
prefer.

Kind regards,
Ruud Koolen